 Off-Topic / Debate / 5763
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 13:11:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Joslin writes:

To put my stance in perspective, and I
expect the vast majority of you to disagree, I don't feel that there is any
moral difference between testing drugs on Negros or homosexuals (or any • other
group) and testing drugs on monkeys or cats.

Further, he must by definition be either a full vegetarian or a full
cannibal, at least in principle.

I don't think so.  By my above statements: I could be a full cannibal - but I'd
also have to think that eating other animals was OK, just not as tasty.  Or I
could eat anything that I wanted to - people, veggies, beef, whatever - that's
still in keeping with my expressed logic.  Or I could be a full vegetarian,
eschewing all meat intake equally.

In reality, I consider myself a poor vegetarian.  I haven't eaten (except for
trace amounts by mistake) the flesh, or derivatives, of an animal in six years.
And for four years before that I'd only occasionally eat any meat (e.g.
pepperoni on a pizza that was being thrown out, etc.)  I eat eggs and dairy
products.  But my eggs often come from neighbors with free-range backyard
flocks, and I otherwise pay the extra for free-range vegetarian eggs.  My milk
is "cruelty free, organic" produce, and I eat cheese and ice cream that I have
no idea about.

The bad part comes in the form of looking aside from the origin of cheese and
ice-cream and from the fact that I wear leather shoes.  I detest plastic on my
body.

Chris