 Off-Topic / Debate / 5750
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 00:18:24 GMT

Ah, Hobson's choice number one.  I'll choose the LAR method - coin flip says • -
NO.

Was that really a coin flip? I doubt it. I really truly believe (see your
weaseling below) that you don't think people ever need to take responsibility
for ANYTHING, even if they do know all the risks. Stating that there are
unknown risks ducks the question. So I'd say it was an automatic NO rather • than
a coin flip, because I haven't presented a Hobson's choice and you know it.

It was a coin flip.  IMO, its not a yes/no, black/white question.

However, your question (and your eternal preaching on this subject) makes
the asumption that everyone knows all the risks involved in everything they • do.
If only that were true.  But its far from true.  Merely assuming that • someone
should know the risks of something they do does not equate to them fully
knowing and understanding the risks.  If that were true, there would be no
teenage pregnancy, no deaths from drug reactions, etc.

Weaseling.

Why is it weaseling to expect people to assume the responsibility for risks
they did not know of?  Did you know that Singapore (I think it was Singapore)
had laws for minor infractions like gum chewing and spitting on the street
before the kid got caned a few years ago?

[snip]

I was talking about lobbying here, sorry, not solving problems, which I
thought was fairly obvious from the context. So "contributes the most" means
contributes to the politicians reelection campaigns, not to solving the
problem. So, consider answering again, since you disingeniously misinterpreted
the question.

An analogy:
The NEA contributes the most to political reelection campaigns, when compared
to the home schoolers or the fans of vouchers. So they seem to have the most
say about how education dollars are spent, despite being part of the problem
(what's wrong with merit pay, exactly? Are all 17 year seniority teachers in a
district worth exactly the same pay? I don't think so). For instance, the
education part of Gore's positions is exactly the NEA line.

Irregardless of the NEA's policies and politics, and I was a teacher, I'd be
incredibly terrified of any decision made about how education dollars are spent
without their input.  I definitely would not want that left up to the
politicians.

But an aside, the biggest problem with America's schools is not the teachers,
nor the students, but the parents.  Parent involvement is at a all time low.
Unless the parents put in an effort to be a part of their child's education,
the child is doomed.  Why is it that Asian and Jewish children are so
successful in school, even those schools with low reading and math scores?
Because of the parent's involvement.

However, for privately funded things you are absolutely right, whoever puts up
the funds should have absolute say over what they are spent on. Surprised me
that you realised that given your stance on ducking responsibility.

++Lar

Lar (noticed I spelled and capped it correctly), my stance is not "ducking
responsibility", my stance is simply that it is not a black and white issue.
From your response to my response regarding the traffic accident, I think you
agree.