 Off-Topic / Debate / 5743
Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 05:43:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ed Jones writes:
[snip]

Please precisely answer with yes or no: Do people need to take
(moral/financial) responsibility for things that they choose to do, things • that
entail risk, or don't they? Whenever I pose an analogy that more clearly
delineates that question, you refuse to answer.

Ah, Hobson's choice number one.  I'll choose the LAR method - coin flip says -
NO.

Was that really a coin flip? I doubt it. I really truly believe (see your
weaseling below) that you don't think people ever need to take responsibility
for ANYTHING, even if they do know all the risks. Stating that there are
unknown risks ducks the question. So I'd say it was an automatic NO rather than
a coin flip, because I haven't presented a Hobson's choice and you know it.

However, your question (and your eternal preaching on this subject) makes
the asumption that everyone knows all the risks involved in everything they • do.
If only that were true.  But its far from true.  Merely assuming that someone
should know the risks of something they do does not equate to them fully
knowing and understanding the risks.  If that were true, there would be no
teenage pregnancy, no deaths from drug reactions, etc.

Weaseling.

Please precisely answer with yes or no: Is it appropriate in a mixed economy • to
allocate social program dollars based on which lobbying group contributes the
most or makes the most noise on TV?

Your wording requires some clarification.  "lobbying group contributes the
most"?  In what sense?  If the lobbying group is funding the pool for social
programs, then yes they should have some say.  Just as one can earmark
donations to the United Way to a specific charity, a lobbyist group that
contributes funds to a programs pool should have the capability of earmarking
those funds.

I was talking about lobbying here, sorry, not solving problems, which I
thought was fairly obvious from the context. So "contributes the most" means
contributes to the politicians reelection campaigns, not to solving the
problem. So, consider answering again, since you disingeniously misinterpreted
the question.

An analogy:
The NEA contributes the most to political reelection campaigns, when compared
to the home schoolers or the fans of vouchers. So they seem to have the most
say about how education dollars are spent, despite being part of the problem
(what's wrong with merit pay, exactly? Are all 17 year seniority teachers in a
district worth exactly the same pay? I don't think so). For instance, the
education part of Gore's positions is exactly the NEA line.

However, for privately funded things you are absolutely right, whoever puts up
the funds should have absolute say over what they are spent on. Surprised me
that you realised that given your stance on ducking responsibility.

++Lar