 Off-Topic / Debate / 5660
Re: Global Warming (was: Re: Why is AIDS such a big deal?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 18:14:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
That's assuming we'd use boosters, of course.  I figure railguns would be more
foolproof.

Rule Number 1:

If you make something foolproof, they'll only go out and invent a better fool.
:-)

(Actually, until the working railgun exists, missles are the only option, and
even getting teeny-tiny reactors for deep-space satellites takes an act of
congress as it is)

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Heck yeah fission is cleaner.  We always seem to be worried about what to • do
with the spent rods - why not drop them into the sun?  It's not like it's
going to pollute the sun or anything, and the canisters wouldn't need much • of
a boost at all.

Booster blows up - you now have radioactive material spread over an • extremely
wide area.  And to make the launch somewhat econonomically feasible, you • packed
it to the max.  Thankfully, it took off from Florida (which if we recall, is
going to be flooded anyway) and not Vandenderg in California.  ;-)

Bruce