 Off-Topic / Debate / 5272
  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Agreed. I should have said responsible instead of liable, as responsible is what I meant. (...) Gosh I hope not! It is hard to tell when one personally is getting a pass, or when one's close friends are (one's judgement is clouded a bit). Can (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

It may be small beer, but after more than a decade of PC crap, you can still drown in it. I thought we had mostly gotten past the PC Cop stage in the world in general. One place I did not expect to see it, nor WANT to see it, was on Lugnet. Lugnet (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Hmm.. you raise an interesting dilemma. I've never considered myself PC. Far from it, in fact. Yet I dislike use of certain words. How to reconcile it? The PC crowd wants to prevent use of them dejure, or so it seems to me. I merely ask that (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) He-hee! I think I misread this the first time you mentioned it, and I was really confused. I thought: "Gee, I'm 'not offended' many times a day--I'd hate for someone to take that away from me!" **grammar geek warning*** I suppose I was failing (...) (24 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) seeing (...) Point taken, that isn't the greatest construct, is it? Can you offer a rewrite that conveys the desired meaning (there may be things that you find offensive out there, and if you encounter them, you might indeed be offended by (...) (24 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Maybe how Voltaire said it, which is as far from political correctness as I think you can get. "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it." To me, this allows that racism and bigotry (...) (24 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)