 Off-Topic / Debate / 516
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:03:35 GMT

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:58:54 GMT, "Selçuk <teyyareci>"
<sgore@nospam.superonline.com> wrote:

Follow-up to .fun, for obvious reasons.

Not that  easy, takes 10M years to come by...:-)

Selçuk

(1)  Preliminary answer?..now I'm at the middle of fourth book, and probably
will start fifth one this weekend...:-)

Well... I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not. I think not, because
I think it's book 3... yes, it is.
It's the answer the caveman gets when playing with the improvised
scrabble stones, but of course this is 2 million years before the
Earth gets demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass. Which
coincidentally is 5 minutes before, according to Deep Thought's
calculations, the question should have been calculated. Of course, the
crashing of the Golgafrincham's ship interfered with this scheme. You
can't very well expect a computer that's been bombarded by a
close-range ERRB Nuke to come up with the right answer, much less one
bombarded with telephone sanitizers. :)

nice series huh?..By the way, your random references to hhgttg made me read
those thingies. Actually I first read "Starship Titanic" (2), fall in love
with it, and from the foreword, I saw hhgttg was also written by the same
author, instantly I remembered a nice guy that I like reading his postings
just because they are full of sense of humor (of mine way) and generally OT, • Why, thank you. I enjoy reading your posts too :-/
randomly talking about it on RTL/lugnet,  then go and buy all the series,
and another one something like "Holy Investigation Office" (3) (just quick
and dirty translation from Turkish Name).

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, most likely.

(2) (3) All the ones that I could find in several book stores  are hhgttg
series (5 books), ST, and Holy something. are there any more?

Okay, Are you ready? I'll give you the bibliography AFAIKI.

Hitch Hiker's books:

1. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Also known as The
Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy, in, I think the American edition)

2. The Restaurant At The End Of the Universe

3. Life, The Universe and Everything

4. So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

5. Mostly Harmless

The Original Hitch Hiker's Guide Radio Scripts (not all that different
from the books - And sound is better anyway :)

---- The first five are often available in Omnibus format - all in one
book.

Dirk gently books:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

You've got at least one of these two, I think.

With Mark Carwardine:

Last Chance to See....

Don't have the faintest idea what that's about.

With John Loyd:

The Meaning of Liff

The Deeper meaning of Liff

These are books, in which meanings are assigned to weird place names
for things that should have a word, but haven't. Do you know that
feeling, when you walk into the kitchen, and you think: "why did I
come in here again?" - that's: "Woking". I have personally never been
able to find either in a book-store, tho, and I doubt you'll hjave
more luck :-(

That's my list, of course that's out of date at least by Starship
Titanic.

Oh, and I have a delightful Biography by Neil Gaiman:

Don't Panic: Douglas Adams & The HHGttG. (well, they spelled it out
full, but I'm getting tired from typing :)

(..) While performing spell check, dictionary suggested replacing "Starship"
with "Steamship"..I thought MS was innovative..:-)

"There's Klingons on the starboard side, starboard side, of the
steamship Enterprise."

Do you have a sound card on your computer?

Jasper