 Off-Topic / Debate / 5055
5054  |  5056
Subject:
The 10 Cs in schools (was Mormon...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:33:47 GMT

I know this is a big snip but I want to make room for my rant...

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

Subject to majority rule.

And therein lies the flaw with Democracy.  I have done nothing to deserve the
penalty of being a subject of the majority rule.

If 51% of the people insist that 2+2=5, that doesn't make it so.

If 51% of the people think that our constitutionally-guarenteed rights should
be optional, that doesn't mean I'm willing to surrender mine.

If 51% of the people think that enslaving those of african descent is a good
(moral, just, etc.) idea, it's still an outrageous crime.

And if 51% of the people think that my kids should be taught to admire the 10
commandments, that doesn't make it right for them to take my job as their
father away.  I (and only I) should school my kids in theology.  And if not,
then what's next?  Will the majority then decide (against my will) that my kids
shouldn't be aloud to learn to read?  Where does it go from here?  I think a
line must be drawn somewhere and I think that religious education should be
left out of public schools in favor of making them friendly to everyone.

Chris