 Off-Topic / Debate / 5036
5035  |  5037
Subject:
Schools (Was: Ten Commmandment discussion with School, etc.) Was: Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:03:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott E. Sanburn wrote:

    I am curious, though, in regards to the school debate, do you
    think the
schools today have an agenda in terms of teaching, in my view, the
way they want rather than a balanced approach?

I can't speak towards the schools themselves, but I know that for the
last 10 years or so, we've had groups like the Christian Coalition,
Focus on the Family, etc. sponsoring not-so-stealthy "stealth" school
board candidates with, shall we say, a rather unbalanced agenda.  And
we also have the Gablers holding our textbooks hostage.

I am in strong
support of giving the parents the authority and choice to send the
kids to different schools through vouchers, competition, etc. I
think the public schools are becoming very biased, not teaching what
in my estimation is critical, and producing some really bad results.

If there is a voucher system, can the parents pick a religious
school, since they are paying for it, or not?

Don't get me started.  Parents == consumers.  Taxpayers == producers.
The set of parents/consumers != the set of taxpayers/producers.  I have
paid over $10K in public school district taxes for which I will never
get anything in return.  Do I perhaps get to pick somebody else's kid
(whose education I am already paying for) and decide where it will go
to school?  Parents need to get the idea that "I paaaaaid for it
already!" out of their rhetoric, or they'll find they're facing a whole
army of childfree taxpayers.

Yes, if parents want to send their children to a private (religious
or otherwise) school, they may.  They already have that choice.  And
yes, they will pay extra for it, because it's a luxury item.

If parents don't like the way the schools are being run, they should
get involved.  Speaking of parental involvement in general, I don't
remember where I saw it, but there was an excellent "parental
involvement" quiz somewhere on the 'net that started out with questions
like these:
- Do you know the names of your child's best friends?
- ... your child's teachers?
- ... your child's friends' parents and siblings?
etc.

Thanks, Scott, for opening another can of worms.  :-P

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX