 Off-Topic / Debate / 5035
Re: Due Process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:52:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
There is somewhat of a due process problem here, but do you have a problem
with the police locking up a suspected murderer until the trial? There does
have to be a capability to respond immediately to problems.

  Certainly, but that sticker seemed like Judge, Jury, and Excecutioner all in
one shot, and its effects lingered long after it was removed.
  I understand your analogy about the suspected murderer, in that imprisonment
removes a potentially dangerous individual from the streets until a judgment
can be made.  But at the same time, the effects of the sticker were much more
far reaching than the situation at hand.  I would extend the analogy by
suggesting that the suspected murderer would either have to have his hands
removed for several months as a precautionary measure (or maybe forever, if
he's guilty--this is a thought model, after all!) or at the very least take
away his right to bear arms (to re-connect it once more with the original
debate, and assuming that the murder weapon was a gun).  Even if he's not
guilty, he can't get his gun--or by analogy, the customers--back for at least
many months or perhaps years. Doesn't the sentence then far exceed the scope of
the non-commited crime?
  Perhaps, though, there exists some form of agreement between businesses and
the local board of health under which such snap sentencing is permitted--I'll
have to look into it further.

     Dave!