 Off-Topic / Debate / 5030
Re: (Ten Commmandment discussion with School, etc.) Was: Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:05:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Folks,

I know this is downgrading to another debate, so I renamed it, and see
if we can clear this up. Anyway, if I remember my own school days, my
world history class was my first real experiences with this stuff. I
know I had some more earlier, but this is my recent memory. My 9th grade
world history teacher took a fair approach in my evaluation, he said,
how did the world began, he had religious views (Christianity & Judaism,
Muslim, others), and the Big Bang Theory, Evolution, and some other
theories. He didn't say one was better or not, just put them out. That
is a decent way to learn things, IMHO.

Some points to ponder,

Scott S.

P.S. To Bill, in regards to perception on Christians on Lugnet, I think
there is some misperceptions here, because I feel the same way.

My belief is that religion should not be emphasized in public schools, but nor
should it be rooted out; it should be recognized as a profound emphasis in human
cultures, and, as such, it should be discussed, but moderately, since parents
have the right to guide religious education (I am here discussing public
schools; not private ones.)  I am an orthodox Christian (meaning not that I
belong to Eastern Orthodoxy, but that I strongly believe the common doctrines of
the faith); however, I am also very much open to creative evolution, and I
certainly believe that the world is very, very old.  While I have no problem
with evolution from a creative framework, I really do not want either position
necessarily taught to my future children in public schools, because, it is MY
role to teach them.  I do not believe in pressing any religious view in public
schools, out of respect for agnostics, athiests, other religions, etc.,
but...evolution is very often taught with a fervor that is on the same order as
religious persecution; i.e., with an extreme intolerance and zeal towards faith-
based views.  We can destroy a person by destroying their beliefs, even if those
beliefs happen to be wrong.  I'd say that in regards to teaching the origins of
this world in public schools, we need to give them all of the scientific
evidence, making sure that they know that evolution is still a theory, and not
an established fact (a point often overlooked), and then to temper it by saying
"and this is what such and such religion believes because..."  Again I say that
it is not the public schools responsibility to teach morality or sensitive
issues such as the origins of life.  These things should not be ignored, because
indeed they cannot be, but they should be approached with restraint.  The public
school system was never meant to be the formative instrument of our childrens'
world-views; that is supposed to come from the family, and it is the family's
right and perrogative to do so.