 Off-Topic / Debate / 4921
4920  |  4922
Subject:
one of the many reasons I think Slashdot sucks now
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:20:40 GMT

What is it with Slashdot?  With all the idiots on there now moderating
their trolls and crap up and other things that are valid but don't
agree with them down it's like some stupid popularity contest.  Makes
me wonder if "article scoring" here might turn into that.

Anyway, here's a specific passage of idiocy that sparked my wrath just
now, in a discussion about patents and how the real problem is the
patent office granting patents on things they shouldn't (which is
true).  But this "thought experiment" seems pretty thoughtless to me:

"Try this thought experiment: if no law enforcement agency in the
country arrested or prosecuted anyone for murder, would you say that
"the real problem is all these murderers"?? Or would you say the real
problem is that the government is not doing its job?? It would be the
latter of course, and it's the same with patents."

YES, I would say the real problem is all the murders, and more
specifically, all the people commiting the murders.  Are we not
capable of having an internalized moral system?  Do I need to know the
government has outlawed murder and may very well punish me for it to
decide not to murder someone else?

That would almost seem to indicate that we have the government to
thank for the fact that we don't have more murders than we have now,
which is only a little more ludicrous than suggesting we have the
Bible to thank for including murder on its list Do/Don't Do list.

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html