 Off-Topic / Debate / 4912
Re: Website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:21:28 GMT

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:06:26 GMT Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote
concerning 'Re: Website':
MS made evil uppercase filenames popular.  Inherited them from CP/M in 1981
and didn't begin to get rid of them until 1995.

Actually, the EVIL part isn't uppercase filenames per-se, it's that WinDOwS
is case-insensitive about filenames, even to the absurd point of allowing
filenames in IIS-served URLs to be case-insensitive.  There are few things
more evil.

oh - ok, I agree... having a case-insensitive platform, well, it just
isn't good :)  I thought the jab was at W2k or somesuch that finally
does care about case...  (Does it?  I don't know - wouldn't touch it
with a stick).

Why is case insensitivity evil? What good comes from having case
sensitivity? I have yet to see any good coming from case sensitivity in
a file system or a programming language.

in programming it's easy - if I want to name a variable FILE, I don't
want it to be misinterpeted as a command, if one day an upgrade
introduces a 'file' command.

As for filesystems - why is 'a' == 'A'?  what if my computer is set to
show 'a' as an "Aleph" - like it did in old implementations of hebrew?
should accent marks be ignored as well?

Besides, if windows chooses to ignore case, fine - why does it
remember the case of files when I save them then?  just auto-force
everything to lowercase, then ignore case....

Dan