 Off-Topic / Debate / 4942
Re: Website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 02:17:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger wrote:

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:06:26 GMT Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote
Why is case insensitivity evil? What good comes from having case
sensitivity? I have yet to see any good coming from case sensitivity in
a file system or a programming language.

in programming it's easy - if I want to name a variable FILE, I don't
want it to be misinterpeted as a command, if one day an upgrade
introduces a 'file' command.

OK.  What if a 'FILE' command is introduced?

Personally, I don't want my variables to be the same word as the
programming language's keywords.  That's just asking for trouble.

Besides, if windows chooses to ignore case, fine - why does it
remember the case of files when I save them then?  just auto-force
everything to lowercase, then ignore case....

Because many people like it to show mixed case.

Steve