 Off-Topic / Debate / 4904
  Re: Website

(...) MS made evil uppercase filenames popular. Inherited them from CP/M in 1981 and didn't begin to get rid of them until 1995. --Todd (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Website

(...) Actually, the EVIL part isn't uppercase filenames per-se, it's that WinDOwS is case-insensitive about filenames, even to the absurd point of allowing filenames in IIS-served URLs to be case-insensitive. There are few things more evil. --Todd (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Website

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:11:54 GMT Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote concerning 'Re: Website': (...) oh - ok, I agree... having a case-insensitive platform, well, it just isn't good :) I thought the jab was at W2k or somesuch that finally does (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Website

(...) Why is case insensitivity evil? What good comes from having case sensitivity? I have yet to see any good coming from case sensitivity in a file system or a programming language. (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Website

(...) Hmm, there must be a definitive FAQ or treatise somewhere on the net about this... --Todd (who has yet to see any good coming from case INsensitivity in a file system, much less a programming language; but who has seen lots of good coming from (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Website

(...) 2 reasons come to me right away: Case sensitivity contributes to a faster and less-buggy environment. If you need to match a string against a set of possible matches (e.g. looking for a file in the directory, or looking for a variable in a (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Website

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:06:26 GMT Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote concerning 'Re: Website': (...) in programming it's easy - if I want to name a variable FILE, I don't want it to be misinterpeted as a command, if one day an upgrade introduces (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Website

(...) That one I'll give you. Then again, I use a development which supports case-insensitive text matching. Which is definitely a double-edged sword. (...) Nah. You only get to store one of those files in a single directory. And if you're looking (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Website

(...) OK. What if a 'FILE' command is introduced? Personally, I don't want my variables to be the same word as the programming language's keywords. That's just asking for trouble. (...) Because many people like it to show mixed case. Steve (24 years ago, 16-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)