 Off-Topic / Debate / 4901
Re: Trying to understand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:35:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

what's the hysteria again? (I may be lost)...  isn't the issue trigger
locks?  what's wrong with you getting with a new gun a trigger lock?
nothing says you have to use it, or that you can't throw it away...

A trigger lock issue is just another attempt by the government
(Clinton/Gore Administration  especially) to get rid of guns, pure and
simple. A trigger lock might solve some minor problems, but will hurt
others. More legislation, more laws, etc. will not work. More education,
both by the NRA, and parents, would do better. The government can't do
anything right, and this is no different.

how is this "trying tog et rid of guns"?  solve problems like kids shooting
themselves when they "just wanted to look at it"...  hurt others?  like not
being able to shoot fast enough?  well, if you keep your gun under your pillow,
you probably won't use the lock, right?  how's that a problem?

but doesn't that contradict your statment about how it's a right to
carry arms?  Don't felons have rights?  (This is just for the debate's
sake - I believe in a stricter gun control, not looser)

No, because once you start committing felonies and the like, you do
loose rights and so forth. The constitutional right to bear arms does
fall under this.

ok, there's nothing wrong with the right to bear arms - but do you not think
someone should regulate who can sell guns and who buys them?  I wouldn't mind
national registration, but I can understand those who do.  But require people
to be checked before they can get a gun - nothing wrong with that, IMO.

As soon as I can put controls and restrictions on your free speech
right, you can put restrictions on my gun rights.  >:(

Once more, how is selling you a trigger lock with your gun restricting your gun
rights?

:)

Dan