 Off-Topic / Debate / 4861
Re: (Movie) Mission to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:36:06 GMT

In lugnet.space, John J. Ladasky, Jr. writes:
The United States was in a race with the Soviet Union for bragging rights.
The USA landed on the Moon first, thereby winning the pi**ing contest.  The
USSR bowed out of any further space competitions (in fact, claiming that a
manned moon landing was never one of their goals!), thereby taking away the
Americans' will to strive for more.  We humans have this problem -- it's not
as much fun to achieve something, if you're not simultaneously BEATING
someone.

  Carl Sagan observed in an interview about 10 years ago that the "Space Race"
was over, and that the U.S. had lost.  In the grand scheme, the moon landing,
though great propaganda, was less significant than the long-term manned
missions of the U.S.S.R.

     Dave!