 Off-Topic / Debate / 4859
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:28:58 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

To the reader, in the below quote Selçuk changed my words in a way that
I don't agree with. He did it to make a point, I'm not mad that he did
it or anything and no apology or retraction is necessary (to forestall
any).

Sorry, anyway..:-)

Selçuk Göre wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

That's right, it's actively bad for people to be RELIGIOUS and the more
RELIGOUS they are, the worse off they are. Further, it's actively bad
for a society to be influenced by ANY RELIGION and the more influenced
it is, the worse off it is. IMHO.

I tried to make it more clear and more universal, as being a former
Muslim...:-)

I don't agree. I think there may well exist religions that do not have
the corrosive soul destroying aspects that (most major branches of)
christianity does.

Frank's Unitarian Universalism, for example. He posted 7 guiding
principles on Wednesday last
http://www.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=4700 ... they have nothing
about "brother's keeper"... I do wonder what is meant by #6 as "justice"
is often a code word used by usurpers to mean income redistribution, but
I doubt that's what meant here.

So if you accept UU as a religion (which raises the interesting question
of is something one because its adherents say it is? Because its
detractors say it is?) then I'd say not all religions are actively bad.

Note that this is the "exception that proves the rule" so to speak, as
most are.
--

This is from Steve Bliss's message:

"I thought that old saying came from English grammar, where every rule
has any number of exceptions.  The exceptions don't invalidate the rule,
they're just exceptions."

Since my lack of good english, do you use it as in the above paragraph?

Selçuk

Selçuk