 Off-Topic / Debate / 4786
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 01:23:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:
Bill, you're falling into the trap of quoting from scripture as if it
were authoritative again. It is to you, we grant that, but it's not
authoritative to me.
It's not a "trap" for me. You're the one who seems to have a problem with it.
The fact that someone doesn't *want* to believe it doesn't diminish it's
authority. The bible IS my standard, your mind is yours. No offense but the
bible has been around a lot longer.

Bill,

Lemme give you a clue.  You're wasting your energy arguing like this.  Don't
take it personally, I make these misteaks all the time, myself.

Here's some pointers:

When you're discussing controversial topics such as religion, it's best to
*mutually* establish a common middle ground from which you may build your
case.  Otherwise, you try to force the folks on the other end of the table to
conform to your rules -- which of course they have no motivation to conform to
-- at which point you come across sounding like a jerk.

Additionally, avoid directly insulting those you are in a discussion with.
Larry's remark was not meant as a personal jab.  Your reaction, however,
indicates that you took it personally (1).  It's just a debate and there's no
prize for winning; don't get emotional.

Thirdly, give examples.  Tons of examples -- the more they're documented, the
better.  When they get shredded (they always get shredded; it's what they're
for), it'll divert the teeth away from you.  Thought experiments are good,
too.

Lastly (and especially if you consider the Real Good Stuff of the Bible to be
the New Testament), the Earth Mother religion has been around as long as, if
not longer than, the Bible has.  By your argument, then, the Earth Mother
religion has merit.  (I ain't saying it does, I ain't saying it doesn't.)

I'm sure there are more -- and better -- rules to follow, but these should
give you a good start.

Hmmm...  Does anyone know the location of a good debate FAQ somewhere?

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Fortunately, Larry is fairly thick-skinned when the topic of this brain's
age comes up in conversation, but I don't look forward to the day when it'll
eventually make him snap.

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society