 Off-Topic / Debate / 4692
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 04:23:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38C5A25C.6BA832E3@voyager.net>...
I hold that this is unjust. It is not fair to not give rotters what they
deserve. Your god is setting a bad example for those of us that are
strivers by letting them off. And that's one of my major beefs with
christian theology, it's unjust and unfair. God doesn't like the hard
workers. So in fact we'd be better off acting like he didn't exist, that
is, acting like we have to make our own way in the world instead of
being fished out.

One objection I'd like to raise is that not all Christians have an unjust
and unfair god. Of course that depends on your definition of Christian, but
I think the only useful general definition of Christian is anyone who
follows the teachings of Jesus as their primary source of religious
inspiration. Most Christian Unitarian Universalists don't believe in this
unjust and unfair god. In fact, that's primarily what the Universalist part
means, though some interpretations of Universalism might offend Libertarians
because of the "everybody gets into heaven" aspect being unfair and unjust
in the opposite direction.

Yup.  More specifically Lar, christian *theology* in general, doesn't.  Some
sects do, but the majority (insofar as I'm aware) do not.  However, this may
vary in actual practice from sect to sect, region to region, even from church
to church and christian to christian.  IMO, christianity is far too varied to
broad-brush  much of anything beyond the definition - which is to say, they all
purport to follow Christ.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> Alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.