 Off-Topic / Debate / 4662
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 06:25:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Christopher Weeks wrote:

[Long interesting discussion snipped]

One of the ideas that I harbor about the LDS
church is that there is a fair degree of secrecy; how do you suppose it
would be received if I wanted to visit Mormon services but was open about
being unconvertable?

I don't think you'd meet too much resistance.  There are some people who might
take offense of your just looking, as though they would prefer to not "waste"
their time, but they're really just being selfish.  (Unless you live in a
large Mormon population, I don't think you'll come across more than one or
two.)  I think most Mormons would be glad to share our teachings with you,
even if you're just an objective observer.

Just to throw in my two cents here, I am not a member of the Mormon Church, but
several of my best friends and the parents of my goddaughter are.  I have found
the general LDS community to be very friendly and welcoming to a determined
non-member like myself (I don't quite know what I believe, but I do know that I
don't believe in any religion that I have encountered to date).

I shared an apartment for nearly two years with an LDS friend and his
younger sister as we all were attending NCSU, and then when he got married, the
four of us lived under one roof for a few months. I was the Best Man at their
marriage and attended all the major functions (except the Sealing, which I
understand is pretty much private anyway).  I was present for his sister's
memorial ceremony when she died in a car accident shortly after the wedding,
and their daughter's blessing ceremony.

I have maintained friendships with several other members of the church, and
other than occasional reminders that they would welcome me to their general
church functions, and regular invitations to church social events, I have never
felt pressured to hear about or accept LDS beliefs any more than by any other
christian friends of mine.

Being an outsider to all major religions, I don't find the Mormon Church to be
much different from other conservative religions in most major aspects, except
perhaps that it seems to be more open and pragmatic to practical considerations
of science & technology than many others.

Whew! I really didn't get on line to write a post like this :) I've got to get
to bed now :)

--Karim