 Off-Topic / Debate / 456
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:14:00 GMT

It is interesting that the only way you can justify your belief in • absolute
morals is by appealing to god, an entity that cannot be proven to exist.
Note: I don't want to here any arguments over the existence of a supreme
being, If it's existance could be proven conclusivly then There wouldn't • be
any need for you to prove it to me would there?

Actually, you have a good point.  Perhaps a Supreme Being _IS_ the only
absolute.
If one were not to acknowledge the existence of such, then there would be • no
absolutes.
I can live with that (atheism).  I, however, do not concur, but I do have a
question for non-absolutists--From where does the desire to be moral (good)
come?  Is it merely utilitarian?

Desire to be Moral What Desire?

Actually this is probably instilled once again from parents, We are told to
"Be Good" "You'll get a reward if you do what I say"  that sort of thing.
It's also probably an successful reproductive strategy to try and stay on
societies good side, Imprisoned criminals don't get much of a chance to
reproduce.

It's probably also worth me pointing out that there is no "absolute" desire
to be moral, as some people (psychopathic killers etc) obviously totally
lack this attribute.

Tim