 Off-Topic / Debate / 4515
Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 10:06:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Peter Callaway writes:

P.S. This political correctness thing with calling God "she" is pathetic.
It's equally pathetic to believe that God is a male.  You're limiting the
supreme power with gender.

This is true. God the Holy Spirit is not gender specific. But Greek and Hebrew
original writings speak of God the Father and God the Son as well. You can't
argue about God the Son - Jesus was a man. God the Father is what Jesus called
Him, and is also God creating identity for Himself that we can identify with.
These translations referring to "God the Mother" are wrong. Check the original
Greek and Hebrew scripts.

I don't need that, but if I had a twisted understanding of fathers (if my dad
was absent and I equated fathers with absence for example) then I'd probably
not like the "regular" Bible.

There are also some really bad mothers, so do they chose the "conventional"
Bible over these other translations? This is twisting religion to suit your
own ends which is wrong.

If I had a bad father I would take comfort that I have another Father who is
a) not like my biological father, and b) an example of what a father should be
like, and someone I can model myself on so I won't turn out like the father I
have.

God is God is God..gender is irrelevant.

God is God of course, but gender is not irrelevant. When Jesus taught us how
to pray, he gave us the Lord's Prayer. It starts off "Our Father, who art in
Heaven.....". So I would say that a gender label, whilst not the defining
aspect of God, is still of importance.

Pete Callaway