 Off-Topic / Debate / 4389
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:35:52 GMT

Bill Farkas wrote:

My intent was to paint the picture with a broad brush. There is no "official"
atheist code of behavior, but it IS pretty much do what you want.

It's not pretty much do what you want. There is even nothing like that
since good behavior is a good behavior and I can distinguish it without
the help of any book written centuries before and looks very stupid
today. Even if it would be as the way you mentioned above, I think it's
better than doing many things since just a strange man said so,
centuries before.

That was my previous point and it is valid. If morality does not come from an
objective point beyond ourselves, then it is entirely of our own making and
subject to the tyranny of a majority and/or the might of the powerful. History
has proven that powerful people with little or no morals WILL dominate the
weak. History has also proven that if a well intentioned system is allowed to
decay it will end in nearly the same chaos. The Roman Empire started with high
ideals and ended in total depravity. Even the theocracy of Israel collapsed
many times due to immorality. Morality must originate outside of ourselves -
there can be no other source - otherwise everything is a house of cards easily
toppled.

My morality and good behavior doesn't came from any religion, and/or
"power" beyond humanity, but I'm still a very good person, just like all
the atheist friends of mine. Furthermore, I don't believe any religion
being good at this.

Believe whatever you want, just don't "label" any other being as "you
are such and such" since their beliefs are not as yours, or they don't
believe any fictitious being at all.

Selçuk