 Off-Topic / Debate / 4347
Re: Mormon bashing again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:48:39 GMT

   (I hope this formats OK when I submit it)

   Toto, I think we're in Kansas...

Creationism isn't science, it's a tool for making converts to
Christianity.  Similarly, posting the Ten Commandments in schools
proclaims that authority comes from god ("thou shalt have no
other gods before me").

Creationism is actually very scientific. Many secular scientists have become
christians precisely because their findings lead them to the conclusion that
everything is too complex to be accidental. I have a few books I could mail to
you that would make this clear.

   I've read most of the supposedly "scientific" Creationist literature,
   and nowhere is the necessary connection between belief in a director
   or architect ("theistic evolution") and the Christian god.  Creationism
   is emphatically *not* science, first of all because dressing up dogma
   in scientific terminology does not make it scientific, and second of
   all because Creation Science (or "Creation Research" or "Theory of
   Spontaneous Origins" or whatever Hank Morris et al are calling it
   this week) operates on the basis of anti-logic.  The latter means
   that Creationism depends on disproving evolution to prove itself true.
   No other option is seen as possible other than those two--the cyclical
   world of certain Asian religions, for example, isn't even considered,
   nor the theory I just came up with now that a giant pink bunny made
   us all five minutes ago with our memories intact and apparent age.
   It's either evolution or creation--and Christianity--for Creationists.
   It has no positive evidence of its own, and it's locked in a battle
   with evolutionary theory, which is designed to be flexible because it
   reflects a visible and verifiable body of evidence.  It's like hitting
   a moving target--so Creationists do their best to reify evolution into
   "Darwin," and lump into "Darwinism" the social Darwinists of the 19th
   Century, various Fascist movements, many now-discredited theories,
   and the like.  By defining the enemy on their terms, it's made easier.

   One point of Bill's original post was true:  Darwin's theory was wrong.
   But it was wrong in precisely the same way that Newton's theories are
   wrong--they were only adequate to describe what was then known.  Only
   the generalities of descent with modification are still present in
   today's evolutionary theory.  Interesting side notes:  Darwin in fact
   started as a Creationist, and evolution was first posited over a century
   before he wrote!  If Creationism is so scientific and correct, how
   did evolution ever get a foothold?

   As to the books mentioned above, give me citations (Author, Title,
   Publisher, Year) and I'll give you reactions.  You see, most scientists
   ignore Creationism, figuring like the rest of the world that it would
   simply go away in the face of overwhelming evidence.  As far as
   scientists "becoming Christians when faced with evidence," most of
   the evo biologists I know already *are* Christians, and they still
   firmly understand and accept evolution.  The two aren't incompatible
   unless you demand a literalist reading of Genesis and a strict
   adherence to Revelations eschatology--which is unscientific.

   By the way:  The "numbers game" you mentioned, the Hoyle/Wrackminsing
   conundrum about "chance" formation of amino acids?  It's a fallacy.
   Hoyle et al are mathematicians, not chemists; but what's more, they
   believe that life on Earth was triggered by amino acids on meteors
   falling from outer space!  Do the Creationists really want to lean
   on that sort of evidence?  Besides, amino acids are self-ordering--
   primitive self-replicating chains of the sort you cite taking "240
   million years" to develop can in fact be made in a matter of hours
   under mildly controlled conditions with wide variances--wide enough
   to be plausable for a primordial environment.

I just want to make some quick points in the "off-topic" record:
"Atheism" is a straw man. It is usually used to mean Nihilist--someone

Or agnostic.

   The difference between agnosticism and gnosticism is dogma--the
   belief that one is right and that one knows the truth and it can
   be found solely in X or Y.  It's still a straw man.

who denies everything. But it only means you don't believe in any gods
at all. There is no such thing as an "Atheist code of behavior" and
you can't lump all your enemies together with such a word.

My intent was to paint the picture with a broad brush. There is no "official"
atheist code of behavior, but it IS pretty much do what you want.

   No, that's the Satanist (and, some would argue, Hollywood) code
   of behaviour.  If it's anything, it's Utilitarian or Communitarian--
   but not Bentham, more like classic Mill.

Still, religionists believe that there is no way to have morality without a
god. This has to challenged.

That was my previous point and it is valid. If morality does not come from an
objective point beyond ourselves, then it is entirely of our own making and
subject to the tyranny of a majority and/or the might of the powerful.

   And it's not that way now?  It hasn't always been that way, even
   with supposedly objective morals in place?

History
has proven that powerful people with little or no morals WILL dominate the
weak.

   It has also proven that the righteous and morally upright (as
   self-defined, naturally) will also dominate the weaker, in the
   name of "civilising" them.  It's still going on today in huge
   parts of the world, and it's the reason why much of Africa is
   such a tremendous mess (not to mention parts of Asia and Latin
   America).  The belief in moral rectitude unfortunately brings
   with it enormous blinders.

History has also proven that if a well intentioned system is allowed to
decay it will end in nearly the same chaos. The Roman Empire started with high
ideals and ended in total depravity. Even the theocracy of Israel collapsed
many times due to immorality. Morality must originate outside of ourselves -
there can be no other source - otherwise everything is a house of cards easily
toppled.

   Why can't it exist in the simple tenet, "Do unto others, as you
   would have done unto you?"  Do we need the fear of eternal punish-
   ment to keep us in line?  I'd like to believe a more altruistic
   and doctrinally neutral alternative is possible.

The religious roots of the US are not the cause of the US as you claim they
are.
American ideals were, and are, this-worldly, secular, happy and self-reliant,
not mystical, humble, or dogmatic.  Washington and Jefferson are a long way
from the Pilgrims (who recreated much of what they supposedly escaped.)
The US is a result of Enlightenment political philosophy, which was an
outgrowth of the scientific world view--not the Bible. If you read the • letters
of the Founding Fathers, there is not a whole lot of religion there. Instead,
they are peppered with "treasonous" statements like "My mind is my own • church"

That's why I stated the following in my original message:

This country was founded by people who accepted and, *for the most part*,
believed and practiced them (no nitpicks please)

My point was that the ten commandments had an undeniable impact on the framing
of our system. I realize that Jefferson considered himself a theist, but he
also didn't reject the label of christian either. As to the "Enlightenment
political philosophy", this also had great impact on Britian and France, and
most of Europe for that matter, yet our system is unique and far more
successful than is any other. So, what makes ours unique? I believe it is the
Judeo-Christian underpinnings. How can you deny the religious origins when the
constitution starts by saying that our rights come from our Creator. The
posting of the ten commandments anywhere does not constitute an endorsement or
mandate of any kind, it's merely a reference to a historical document that
impacted the formation of our laws.

   Given that the majority of people in the to-be-US were Christian
   of some stripe, they had to make the system saleable to *everyone*.
   It's a great compromise document, designed to please everyone.  We
   won't talk about Ben Franklin's code of conduct, though.  :)

   Bill's right that the overwhelming worldview in the West is that
   of Christianity, even among those who deny it--because even the very
   act of defining oneself against that is accepting its power to
   define thought.  It shows up in the founding documents of the US
   because the Judeo-Christian way of ordering the world is so very
   ingrained.

Bill wrote:
things like Columbine? Animals do these types of things. It's normal for
animals to do these types of things.

Silly. Animals kill weaker animals to eat them! Stop calling the
animals sinful, too. It's right for the lions to eat the lambs, but animals
are not suicidal maniacs.

What's silly about it. So, animals only kill to eat, right?! Are you saying
that like doesn't kill like in the animal kingdom? Have you never seen lions • or
wolves or kangaroos fight and kill for supremacy in their various groups
(prides, packs, herds etc.) They kill their own for sexual/breeding dominance
which brings feeding beni's with it. They mark their territory and kill their
own kind if it is trespassed. Animals have cannibalized their own species for
many reasons. Which is precisely my point. Survival of the fittest. It's not
sinful - I wasn't calling animals sinful - I said it was normal. So, if we are
evolved from them then it is not wrong to kill for dominance. There is more to
human needs, desires and morality than mere biology or increased cranial
capacity. No amount of protiens and enzymes can account for the human spirit,
personality or desire to be significant.

   Death in most like-animal combat is accidental.  It also depends on
   the particular animal and the niche that it occupies.  When you start
   making analogies between animals and the horror of Columbine, though,
   things break down--since when do animals kill themselves after
   killing others of their kind?   The two are patently different.
   However, you're right that much animal behaviour *is* somewhat
   analagous to human behaviour...after all, that's evolution!  Think
   about it when you get agitated while stuck in a crowded shopping
   centre or traffic jam next time.  And thus, we come full-circle.

   The difference, as Bill points out, is that we are self-conscious.
   Now, science can never say what the source of that is, but by the
   same token it contains a lot of supposedly "animal" qualities.
   However, evolution does *not* stipulate that it is OK to kill for
   dominance in human societies.  Nowhere.  The implication isn't even
   there--it's just been used to imply that by criminal regimes.  Human
   beings are a specific species, with its own social structures, codes
   of conduct, and the like, just like every species has (or
   conspicuously lacks, in the case of solitary animals).

   So do I think that evolution happened?  Of course.  Do I believe
   that human beings are unique in the animal kingdom, the pinnacle
   of billions of years of evolutionary adaptation?  Yes.  (Well,
   unless we kill ourselves off, in which case we were an evolutionary
   dead-end.  On a geological scale, the jury's still out.  ;) ) Do I
   think that Christianesque morality is a bad thing?  No.  Do I believe
   that all of these are compatible?  Absolutely.

   best

   Lindsay