 Off-Topic / Debate / 4187
Re: "Justice Probes eBay for Antitrust"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 15:57:03 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
It's interesting to note that on AuctionWatch's own discussion forum,
the vast majority of posters that I have read so far are taking eBay's
side in this.

http://www.auctionwatch.com/mesg/read.html?num=2&thread=139062

Larry I think you'll find that the vast majority of AW posters are primarily
bidders - since most sellers know that ebaY is the only viable game in town, I
say right on to the DOJ and check it out before it becomes impossible for small
sellers to sell at ebaY in competition with power sellers and as the amount of
utter dreck for sale on ebaY increases (this includes the "not found in stores
[but available from Shop At Home] latest Lego sets phenomenon). If ebaY stays
the only way to be guaranteed lots of eyeballs whan you want to sell, then
antitrust is a real possibility. How often do folks here list Legos at sites
other than ebaY?  When they do, how often are they sure they're getting top
dollar and that some one on ebaY (be it savvy Lego fiend or clueless newbie)
wouldn't have paid more?

AuctionWatch is a great site for information and I highly recommend it
for that. However I'm not sure that this fight is a good use of their
talent.

I know that AW's coverage of this is going to be biased due to the search engine
debate (before the legal wrangling, both Bidders Edge and AW's Universal Search
were faster if not more complete than ebaY's search - you could even get your
items instantly indexed at Bidders Edge while it then it took more than 24 hours
for anyone to find your items at ebaY using ebaY's search and AW and BiddersEdge
weren't totally at fault for the slowdowns - most of that was ebaY attempting to
limp along on inadequate hardware and NO onsite technical support folks)
--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!