 Off-Topic / Debate / 3882
Re: stuff (was: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:51:15 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

How about regulatory tariffs, like tabacco, alcohol, and gas, to name
the three most wellknown ones?

Well, what do you mean?  I _think_ I think so in those cases too.  In
the case of gasoline, there are issues of how to pay for environmental
damages and are taxes of some kind the best way.  I'm not sure.  Of the
systems I've heard, a surcharge per gallon (or litre) is best because
it's a user fee.  A tax on owning a car is evil.  Regarding tobacco and
alcohol, I just don't see any reason for tarrifs or taxes at all.

Just a quite note on gasoline: One of the engineers here at AEI has a
husband who is an electrical engineer for a certain car manufacturer (I
won't divulge too much) They have been working on hydrogen fuel cell
cars. It has been so successful that the car company has scrapped their
electric car program, and are going full steam into this. One of the
neatest things about this is the fact that the car has just as much
power as a gasoline engine, the emissions are water, etc. They had a
test run for the Feds a few months ago, and it will be in production
soon (I don't know for sure). I think this could be a giant step towards
eventually, getting rid of gasoline, and using something cleaner. I know
they ae developing a safe way of using hydrogen, but that is being
spearheaded by another car manufacturer. If it doesn't pollute anymore,
I wonder if you can try to attach this environmental tax to it?
Something to think about.

Scott S.