 Off-Topic / Debate / 3873
Re: stuff (was: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 01:26:52 GMT

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:44:00 GMT, Christopher Weeks
<clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

Yup. There are very good reasons not to let economic refugees cross
into your country freely. Most especially if you are richer than your
neighbours.

My stance on this is surely colored by the history of the US, but I feel
that the primary reason that I live in the greatest nation in the world
is the melting pot effect.  I would be completely open to allowing
anyone who wanted a fair shake to come live and work in the US.  Today,
that might not work because we have a minimum wage and welfare, but in
the ideal world, we'd have neither and it would be a good thing for our
country and the world.

Maybe it'd be a good thing for the country or the world -- but not
necessarily for the individual voter. Anyway, we currently get enough
non-economic refugees here in .nl that it severely skews the
population count -- and in some cases we're talking here about people
who don't even make a concerted effort to learn the language, but
instead prefer to sit around hoping someone will feed them.

On a micro-scale, you can see the same thing happening in the majority
of third-world countries. Only there it's the trek from the
countryside to the cities. The result? Vast slums, health problems, as
well as depopulation problems on the surrounding country. Not pretty.

The US could do that in the beginning of its lifetime because there
were vast empty (well, after the cavalry came they were empty, anyway)
swathes of land to be settled.

The problem isn't that the market wouldn't provide food. It's that the
market would not provide enough home-grown food, instead preferring to
import from somewhere cheaper. The problem with that in times of war
is very obvious.

OK, I hadn't thought of that.  There is a good reason to keep a farming
infrastructure up and running.  I still rebel at the thought of
subsidies.  I'll need to think on this.

I don't know how the subsidies are handled near you, but the Eu does
it like this: they guarantee farmers a 'subsistance price' for their
produce (IOW, if you can't sell it for more than this, you can sell it
to us), and if they have to buy stuff they either use it to feed the
armies, feed the third-world poor, or sell it off, depending on whim
AFAICT. Apart from "what you do with it afterwards", I quite like the
system.

I beleive you are (at least in some cases) wrong.  I have never been an
agrarian, but I did spend the past eight years living in an agricultural
region - attending the largest ag college within 300 miles and I know
people who were paid to leave corn fields fallow rather than grow.  I
also know people who report having taken that pay and grown stuff (like
pot) anyway.

Hehe. True enterprising spirit. I shall really have to get me a few
seeds sometime. "Nether-weed" is supposed to be among nthe best in the
world, but most of it is consumed locally so you wouldn't know that ;)

2) People are better off with free trade than with tariffs.
    You have to have some basic faith in the market, but I bet most
    people answer this one with a yes.

In some cases. This one isn't black and white no matter how you look
at it.

I think 'people' in the aggregate are better off with free trade.  I
think that is black and white.  But, there are many who would be 'hurt'
changing from the current system to a free one.

How about regulatory tariffs, like tabacco, alcohol, and gas, to name
the three most wellknown ones?

3) Minimum wage laws cause unemployment. Repeal them.

The first statement is marginally correct, but that is irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant?  When I was 20, I worked at a mid-sized custom
photo lab as a dark-room technician.  Minimum wage went up and two kids
got canned.  I should have, but my work was too good - or so I was told.

Minimum wage in principle is good. Setting it too high is bad. Minimum
wage should be a (preferably area-adjusted) _minimum_ living
condition.

Cause, well, I'd rather see somebody starve fast than slow, if they
have to starve. Less chance of them taking up criminal lifestyle.

More thasn fairly. Both your parties are extremely moderate by your
own standards, and both are right-wing by global standards (by
actions, not words, that is).

A little right wing.  Not a whole lot.  We might be fairly right wing by
European standards, but not the rest of the world - as I understand things.

Discounting the undemocratic nations.. the average democratic nation
is fairly left wing, AFAICT. China... Russia is going back to the
communists... etc.

If you count Pol Pot and Ceaucescu, why yes, the US is downright
liberal.

Jasper