 Off-Topic / Debate / 3880
Re: stuff (was: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 02:09:37 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote in message <3889b27e.4370108@lugnet.com>...
Minimum wage in principle is good. Setting it too high is bad. Minimum
wage should be a (preferably area-adjusted) _minimum_ living
condition.

One problem with this is that in the US, minimum wage for 40 hrs/week isn't
really a minimum sufficient wage (for most parts of the country). I  do
think that companies have to be prepared to pay a living wage for any job
which truly requires a human being. I think we may have to give up 99 cent
hamburgers though. I am beginning to be pretty well convinced that a minimum
wage doesn't work.

I think we'd be better off with charities providing real meaningful work
for those who can't otherwise connect with a well paying job. If the
charities offer meaningful work, people would be a lot less willing to work
the typical minimum wage job of today, and we would either be forced to do
without those positions, or figure out how to pay enough to attract people.
There is plenty of meaningful work that charities could organize. Lots of
opportunity to clean places up, baby sit for each other, build parks, and
more - in fact with a reduced government, charity could take care of a lot
of the things the government does right now, I bet people would actually be
more comfortable giving enough money to charities for them to be able to
give the needy these kinds of jobs, than paying taxes to the government to
provide the same jobs.

Another thought, without government intervention in labor laws (minimum
wage, overtime laws etc), instead of holding two or three jobs, many would
be quite happy putting the same total hours in at a single job, which would
save them money (less driving), be more productive, and probably even put
the employee in a better bargaining position (because instead of having to
find two or three different employers they want to work for, they only need
to chose one employer).

Discounting the undemocratic nations.. the average democratic nation
is fairly left wing, AFAICT. China... Russia is going back to the
communists... etc.

Are you counting China as democratic? I'd hardly even consider Russia
democratic.

Frank