 Off-Topic / Debate / 3895
Re: stuff (was: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:27:57 GMT

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:51:15 GMT, "Scott E. Sanburn"
<ssanburn@cleanweb.net> wrote:

Just a quite note on gasoline: One of the engineers here at AEI has a
husband who is an electrical engineer for a certain car manufacturer (I
won't divulge too much) They have been working on hydrogen fuel cell
cars. It has been so successful that the car company has scrapped their
electric car program, and are going full steam into this. One of the
neatest things about this is the fact that the car has just as much
power as a gasoline engine, the emissions are water, etc. They had a
test run for the Feds a few months ago, and it will be in production
soon (I don't know for sure). I think this could be a giant step towards
eventually, getting rid of gasoline, and using something cleaner. I know
they ae developing a safe way of using hydrogen, but that is being
spearheaded by another car manufacturer. If it doesn't pollute anymore,
I wonder if you can try to attach this environmental tax to it?
Something to think about.

FUp-to: geek.

There are two kinds of car that seem to be surging ahead right now.

There is the fuel-cell type, and the hydrogen type (which may also be
fuelcell, but whatever.)

Fuel-cells typically use hydrocarbons (ie, gasoline (but cleaned up),
alcohol/wood alcohol, whatever burns basically) and an redox reaction
with a catalyst to directly produce an electron flow. Essentially
they're a battery, where the working chemicals need to and can be
replaced as an ongoing process. the relationship between burning stuff
in one of these and in a fire/explosion as an IC engine uses is
something like the relationship between how our cells burn sugar and
how a fire burns sugar. Much more controlled, and much cleaner.

The hydrogen cars that I've seen use a metal alloy to store hydrogen
gas (which releases hydrogen when it warms and captures it when it
cools), which is then burned for a very hot flame (exhaust being hot
water only, literally), which is placed right next to a lot of solar
cells. The solar cells sitting right next to a 2000K heat source put
out a lot more than regular solar cells, of course.

Regular electric (lead-acid-battery-powered) cars are up to being
charged in one hour or so, but I don't see them catching on until
refilling is a lot easier, faster, etc.

The problem with hydrogen cars is where do you get the hydrogen?
Generally, you'll get it by electrolysing water into hydrogen and
oxygen, or by a chemical reaction from petrochemicals.

Jasper