 Off-Topic / Debate / 3735
Re: stuff (was: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 21:34:02 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:02:12 GMT, Christopher Weeks
<clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote:
Richard Franks wrote:

Yeah, actually, I thought the reason they do stuff like mandatory leaves
and long vacations was to keep the unemployment rate low.  I think we
have to agree on higher taxes though (not like they're low here in the US).

In terms of total taxes raised vs GNP, NL comes out at around 25%,
whereas the US comes in at just over 30%.

That good enough?

Good enough for what?  What if you look at it differently?  What % of
your income do you pay as income tax?  What would it be if you were in
the US doing the same kind of work?  What about other forms of taxation?
What's your sales tax like?  How about on petrol?

I do.  Most of these issues don't have a right and wrong to them.  It's
a matter of preference.  If I can convince people to have the same
preference that I do, then the world is more likely to bend to my ideal.
It seems only logical to proslytize.

Not really -- preaching too hard is more likely to turn people away
from you than towards you, 9in this day and age.

Absolutely.  And I'm certain that I've done exactly that.  But I also
know that I've done the opposite.  And both sides of that have been done
to me.  I guess your success to turn-away ratio is what counts (as if it
were really calculable).

Chris