 Off-Topic / Debate / 3732
Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:07:19 GMT

Richard Franks wrote in message ...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John DiRienzo writes:

  I agree, I still have no clue what the Nestle reference is to.

Oh - I thought everyone knew! Basically Nestle heavily promote their • processed
baby milk in third world countries. Parents there, wanting the best for • their
children *believe* the adverts - it comes from the West - it must be great
right? As a result a lot of third world children are dying, not from
malnutrition, but because they don't get the natural antibodies or whatever
from the breast milk that they would have done otherwise. (1)
As it's such a blatant example of a corperation manipulating an uneducated
market, and killing people while doing so, a lot of people are angry at • them
and call for a boycott of Nestle products.

   Thanks.  Thats reason enough for me to boycott Nestle.  There are other
chocolatiers, at least there are in America.  As it bothers you (and me)
that others are being manipulated by the advertising for that company, it
bothers me that people are alsobeing manipulated by the rhetoric of the left
(and the right, etc.).

I first mentioned it in reference to consumers not always educating • themselves
about a product or corperation, so how can they be expected to regulate
corperations behaviour? (Not as a personal tirade!)

   Same with voters (citizens) - it disturbs me that others don't always
educate themselves as well as they can; perhaps they should.  I don't feel
it should be my responsibility to do so, i.e. to do their work for them.
When you say the government should do that work for them, you are
essentially saying one individual should do another's work.

Richard

(1) Or something very much along those lines

--
   Have fun!
   John