 Off-Topic / Debate / 3691
Re: Android vs. Droid vs. Automaton (Re: 4x2ReVu: 7141 Naboo Fighter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:58:52 GMT

James Wilson wrote in message ...
Anyone else see the humor in debating the semantics of words used in a
fictional account of events in "a galaxy far, far away" ?  Maybe their
English has a different OED than ours.  Sheesh, they don't use "parsec" • right,
either, but let's not go there....

   I won't ask.

"JG" == Joseph Gonzalez <hsadm2.jgonzale@email.state.ut.us> writes:
JG> The problem I see with using these terms is that Webster's
JG> Dictionary defines android as "having human features" (which the
JG> R2 units definitely do not have).  Consequently, one couldn't use
JG> the 'droid term either because it is just a contraction of the
JG> original term Android.

   Not quite true, IMO.  R2 has some human characteristics.
   He hears and talks.
   He walks.
   He has excellent emotional programming.
   These are features of humans, among other things.
   Otherwise, he isn't very similar to humans.

'If Bill Gates had a dime for every time Windows crashed...
... Oh wait a minute, he already does...' - Anonymous

--
   Have fun!
   John