 Off-Topic / Debate / 3601
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:42:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

"Whatever it takes" is certainly not hereditary or we wouldn't have so
many rags to riches stories (and the reverse)... Most of "whatever it
takes" is someone else caring.

Agreed, studies of synaptic development favour the 'nurture' in nurture vs
nature.

I see evidence that people do, and with a
system which actually rewards teachers (I think teachers pay is going to
rise dramatically in Liberatopia), I expect a LOT more teachers to care.

Sadly, as the wages go up, teachers who care less will be attracted the the
profession. Not that teachers shouldn't be paid more, it's just a problem to
keep in mind I guess!

There will be some kind of correctional system, funded by fees to
property owners who wish to keep the crooks of the street at worst. In
order for this correctional system to operate the most efficiently, it
must do more than simply warehouse the crooks. It will (over the long
term) find the most cost effective amount of education to give to
produce the most income from the crooks. Those crooks who are not
"lifers" will leave with a usefull skill, and in many cases will have
paid off any financial debt they owe.

Has anyone ever sat down and calculated the number and extent of third-party
fees? I mean, would people rather pay 100+ bills per month, or would they just
organise a monthly lump payment. And then, isn't that just a customised tax?

Things like security would have to be financed by *everyone* in the street, so
some of these taxes would stop being optional?

Also, as each of these individual services is a profit-making company trying to
compete (and spending millions on advertising doing so), then is there much
reason to believe that the total would be much less, if not more?

Richard