 Off-Topic / Debate / 3388
Re: Libertarian stuff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 04:21:34 GMT

Richard Franks wrote:

Urgh! *shudder of fear* Taxes don't seem so bad when the alternative is
hoping that corperations suddenly become altruistic towards society.

Fortunately, Libertarian theory doesn't require ANYONE to be altruistic,

Maybe.. AFAIK Libertarian policy on education is to remove the burden of school
taxes from those not responsible for the education of children. This would
leave the education system with substantially less income, to supplement this,
there does seem to be plans for some form of social contract:

The Libertarian FAQ (What about the poor?)
<http://www.libertarian.org/libfaq.html#Lib.FAQ.13> states that "private
charity is more compassionate and delivers the goods better than the government
welfare plantation".

The idea of dollar for dollar charitable tax-credit is a form of coercion to
enforce people to donate to charity. Surely this dual-tax system would create
more red-tape than the existing one?

although I can't speak for libitarian guff, whatever that is.

An embarrassing spelling mistake? I also changed guff to stuff, which is a bit
more respectful :) I do want to learn more about Libertarian politics, as I'm
still at the stage where every new tidbit that I learn about it makes it seem
even more unworkable and optimistic.. I get the feeling that there is something
obvious that I'm missing that will make sense of it all?

Richard