 Off-Topic / Debate / 3333
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:07:11 GMT

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote:
If they work, then how come this country has spent trillions of $$$ on welfare
and we still have poverty?  Do you know how much a trillion is?  I don't,
because the number is so vast.  But I can tell you that it should have been
more than enough.  Of course, $.70-.80 on the dollar probably went to the
bureaucracy.....

People are being fed. That means the system is working. Amount it costs or
number of people left unfed are merely degrees to which it is working. After
careful numerical analysis, one might conclude that it is working at 10%
efficiency. It's still _working_.

Government food programs _do_ feed some
starving people.
So do charities.  Free.

Free? Really? Wow. We should have more of those.

Government highways do get some people from place to place.
Government policing force does something to help maintain order. They
_work_, even if there is an ideal situation which may be better.
What a silly thing to say.  If there *is* a better solution, why not take it?

Sorry, then, the universe is silly sometimes. There are many reasons why
ideals are not always realized.