 Off-Topic / Debate / 3332
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:01:24 GMT

Dave Schuler <orrex@excite.com> wrote:
Well, the easiest criticism against this is that circumstances have arisen
in the subsequent centuries which could simply not have been foreseen by the
founders and which their document could therefore not reasonably be expected
to address.  Which is to say that basing our current actions and views on the
opinions generated 200 years ago by the circumstances of 200 years ago is
risky at best and frankly anachronistic.

The amazing thing is that they were foresighted enough to understand this,
and left the constitution as a relatively small framework, and even gave the
ability to modify that.

The government we have today, for better or worse, is a result of 200+ years
of interaction and development. That's a lot due to the design of the people
who made it, and their realization that they couldn't predict everything.