 Off-Topic / Debate / 3257
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 04:36:23 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Matthew Miller wrote:

Scott E. Sanburn <ssanburn@cleanweb.net> wrote:
The US Constitution and Bill of Rights, coined by the founding fathers,
all rights are God given.

This sentence doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Can you rephrase/explain
what you're saying?

Insert an "under" in front and you should be able to parse it, although
it may still be on shaky grammatical ground.

Very shaky ground, my eyes certainly are!

As in the "rights" of health care, etc., in theory, all are good ideas, in
utopia. In reality, there is a difference. What does the market do? Who
will pay for it? Is it in the nations best interest. Who will enforce it?
Will we lose national sovereignty, etc.

Ok. So if they're good ideas in a perfect world, is there a problem with
saying that those are things we want to strive for as a
society/cuture/nation/people?

Yes, there is. One can certainly say that we'd like everyone to have an
education, good health care, and a secure retirement. Laudable goals,
and ones that I share. But there is a big leap from stating that as a
desired attribute of society, to stating that everyone has a RIGHT to
those things.

For, once you say that, you have to say where these free goods come
from.

In the "all rights are property rights" view, there are no free goods
and no theft by government is required to provide those free goods to
the folks who somehow have stumbled into these rights to free goods,
because they aren't in fact rights.

The US Bill of rights is fine and doesn't need gravy train extensions.

Yes sir. Larry has the unique ability to clean up what rambling I have,
and make it a clear and concise point. All hail Larry!

Scott "losing the ability to type" S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator/CAD Operator-Affiliated Engineers ->
http://www.aeieng.com
Home Page -> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html