 Off-Topic / Debate / 3128
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 02:00:16 GMT

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 23:19:43 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

By the way, larry, your line lengths are too long.

See, where Libertopia differs from other -topias is fundamental. First,
we are not claiming that it's perfect. Instead, we claim there IS no
perfection in society. There always will be situations where things turn
out unfairly (is a freak tornado "fair"?) or where the guilty
inadvertantly walk free. It's merely a shorthand for a society in which
rights are paramount. That's a definitional thing. You can't use the
word unless that's what you mean, unless you are deliberately trying to
be confusing or obstructionistic.

My response to that would be "nothing is fair - but some things are
more fair than others". And I personally believe that it is a good to
make this society as fair as we can afford.

Just as explanation, of course, since I don't expect either of us can
sway each other (if I had been constitutionally able to be swayed
toward the LP, I'd have been so by now. Too many _good_ debaters have
tried..).

Second, and this is one I've convinced myself of, but which almost no
one else agrees with, human nature does NOT need to change in order for
us to successfully move in the Libertopian direction. People already are
good enough, honest enough, industrious enough for it to work. Pockets
of it exist today, at least in limited form. I have no idea how to
convince the rest of you of that point except to repeat my assertion,
which is rather a poor debating technique, and by giving examples. But
no example list can be exhaustive, it can't be a definitive proof.

What you're saying is that _some_ people are $VIRTUE enough for it to
work, so therefore everyone (statistical everyone) is.

What the rest of us is saying, is that many people seem not be $VIRTUE
enough for it to work. A statistically significant fraction of the
population, even.

So I always try to turn it round. Why does everyone else believe people
are bad? What a downer if that's what you really think?

No kidding is it a downer. I suspect this realisation is a big part of
puberty depression.

Why not believe
in the best of people, expect it, and deal with it if you don't get it,
instead of expecting the worst.

When I mail someone a check, I expect they are going to be good for the
goods I've won at auction, and I'll deal with the consequences if they
aren't.

I always believe the best of a person. I'll also always believe the
worst of people. It's the way group dynamics work. Unfortunately.

Jasper