 Off-Topic / Debate / 312
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:55:11 GMT

Beaker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org> wrote:
The trust he is breaking, in this case, is a personal one, rather than a
public one.  We do not prosecute people in this country for adultery,
and personally, I am thankful for that.  So if Clinton's only crime were

Prosecute, no.  Have faith in them to run the nation?  Not me.

In a more general sense, think of all the people you have known who
failed in their marriages.  Some of the ones I know are otherwise fine
people.  Some of them were genuinely contrite and worked hard to heal
their marriages and some have succeeded and been forgiven.  Others
picked up the pieces and moved on.  My point here is that infidelity is
a fairly common human failing, and I don't believe in ruining people's
lives over it.  One of the finest people I know is a divorcee who lost
his entire family due to his poor choices.  I cannot imagine the hell of
living in a world where he was subject to criminal penalty as well.

I'm not saying infidelitey ought to carry a criminal penalty, but
infidelity, basically, is dishonesty and betrayal at its worst.

I know people who have been unfaithful to their spouses.  I don't
consider them otherwise fine people because they are fundamentally
flawed.  Without getting into a forgiveness/contrition debate, I think
I can catagorically say that I don't trust those people to make any
future morally correct decision.

If you can lie to you wife, you can lie to others.  If you can betray
your wife you can betray others.

Should the adulterers I know be put in jail?  No.  Should they be
denied employment or anything else that might be based on trust?  They
would be if I were the employer or the landlord, etc, calling the
shots.  If a loser can violate his contract with one person in that
kind of extremely personal way, I'd say he can do it again.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide