 Off-Topic / Debate / 310
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:46:13 GMT

Also sprach Mike Stanley:
: So you either can accept that he's breaking his vows to his wife and
: she doesn't mind, which makes sense, because if she doesn't mind why
: should you?  Or you're saying that you condone the violating of one
: person's trust by another.  Which is the same as lying, right?

The trust he is breaking, in this case, is a personal one, rather than a
public one.  We do not prosecute people in this country for adultery,
and personally, I am thankful for that.  So if Clinton's only crime were
lack of marital fidelity, I would consider it a non-issue.  You've
already read (at length) why I think Clinton should leave office, so I
won't belabor it here ...

In a more general sense, think of all the people you have known who
failed in their marriages.  Some of the ones I know are otherwise fine
people.  Some of them were genuinely contrite and worked hard to heal
their marriages and some have succeeded and been forgiven.  Others
picked up the pieces and moved on.  My point here is that infidelity is
a fairly common human failing, and I don't believe in ruining people's
lives over it.  One of the finest people I know is a divorcee who lost
his entire family due to his poor choices.  I cannot imagine the hell of
living in a world where he was subject to criminal penalty as well.

/ _ _ / _ _                       Don't like it?  Direct all flames to
()(-(//((-/                                 miotch@havoc.gtf.gatech.edu
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============