 Off-Topic / Debate / 313
312  |  314
Subject:
Marriage and Law (was Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 06:17:16 GMT

Various people have been writing about what it means to be unfaithful.

Now, I have no idea what deal Billary and Billary worked out, and this
is kind of tangential, but I DID want to point out that in the US, the
state has a monopoly on the ability to recognise two people entering
into a contract, and further, the state constrains what sort of contract
can be entered into. (you have to use the prescribed ceremony, which is
the expression of what the contract binds you to...)

So, for example, it is not legal to enter into a contract in which
progeny will be provided for, but no commitment of faithfulness is made.
Nor is it legal to enter into any other arrangment than a single man and
a single woman as the only parties in the relationship... No polyandry,
no polygamy, no group marriages, no same sex marriages, etc.

As a Libertarian, you just KNOW that rankles me. What business the state
has regulating what two or more consenting adults want to set up is
beyond me...

Now, of course the Craven One could have, back in 1992 during the
primaries when Hillary made her "stand by your man" speech, stood up
instead and said: "Yes, I have sex with other women, and Hillary's OK
with that. I don't plan to stop. The marriage laws in our country ought
to be changed, but since they aren't, we plan to break them. Deal."
Heck, if he had said that, I probably would have voted for him. Twice.

But of course he didn't. He's too chicken to actually take a stand
against something he doesn't want to comply with. He just gets his
trained seals(1) to cover for him.

Contrast "I didn't inhale"
with "Yes, I smoked pot and liked it. Pot is a relatively harmless drug
and the government has no business regulating it or any other victimless
crime."

Contrast "I got my congressman to write a letter to the draft board"
with "I served time for refusing to comply with conscription. The war
was wrong, and conscription is slavery."

Contrast "Well, we technically did not raise money FROM the oval office,
or at least not on government time or phones"
with "The campaign finance laws are absurd and we won't comply with them
as they are unconstitutional."

Contrast "I never had sex with That Woman.... (followed by) ...well, it
depends on your definition of IS"
with "Yes, she gave me head, Hillary knew what was going on, and I liked
it. Deal."

See a pattern?

1 - or weasels in the case of Carville. Admit it, both he and his wife
Mary look like weasels, don't they? (2)

2 - apologies to any weasels reading the newsgroup, I insulted your
species.

- No seals or weasels were harmed during the creation of this post,
although some were insulted a bit.