 Off-Topic / Debate / 3089
Re: Goodness of Man? (was: Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:30:52 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote:

<snippage>

   You make a very good additional point yourself.  And I will add to it.
If people were so good in the first place, then democracy, communism,
feudalism, any of them would work just fine, even anarchy would.  But you
know the true case, and must admit that some of those are better than
others.  I do object to James' point that you thought was excellent.  Since
I believe laziness and making mistakes are evil things, I do think if we had
a system which motivated people to avoid these evils, we would have a better
lives.  Libertarianism (although I have never actually endorsed it) seems to
demand more responsibility from individuals, and therefore would be better.
The same reason he says it is doomed to failure is the same reason I say it
would be better.

Ahh, I think Libertarianism would be an excellent system; I just shared James
pessimism that it would have a hard time working given today's entitlement
mentality.  Lazy people want things given to them rather than they having to
work for them.

People are lazy because they can be, very few people who
are truly disadvantaged are not using there time in some way to better
themselves.  Likewise, if a person has little time to be lazy, he has less
time for making mistakes, and will do better to avoid them knowing that he
would be the person to bear the consequences of his own mistakes
(accountability).  I think James would have been more accurate saying
libertarianism is doomed to never get off the ground because people are
inheritantly evil and will never try to make a change ~that much for the
better~.  Because they are lazy, and don't want to give up being lazy.
Still, I think Libertarianims does have a chance.  Similar to capitolism,
and democracy, a little bit could go a long way.  If Libertarianism (or
something similar) gets a foothold somewhere, I think it will catch on, in
time, in a big way.

I hope it does.  It seems to be a more mature (in terms of societal evolution)
system of government.  Anarchy would be the most mature, IMO.

-John