 Off-Topic / Debate / 3063
Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 05:34:45 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

I've never heard of _anyone_ dying from bad weed. Heroin, cocain,
crack, XTC, yes, but not weed.

I heard of a friend of a friend of a friend that got very very sick from
doing weed that the federales had sprayed with herbicide, in their
foolish and failed drug war, but it probably was an urban legend.

I had a friend who passed out in a running car and died of CO
poisoning... but again, that wasn't the weed itself

If they are a cop or a politician, it is hypcritical to support the
current drug laws which would put one away for a good long time for the
same thing.

What's the difference between the politician and the parent?

None. When the time comes (any day now, actually, for my oldest, and I
shouldn't be postponing it) for ME to have my talk (1) I am going to
tell my  oldest that the laws are wrong, but I still want her to hold
off till she's a bit more familiar with the risks and rewards, and ready
to handle the consequences.

Incidentally, while I in generall support the idea of legalizing drugs,
I also support the idea of doing testing of people in critical jobs
where impairment could lead to very serious accidents. In this case, I
also include Alcohol (which is abused far more than any illegal drug).

Absolutely. And sleeping pills, caffeine,...

Yup. I have no issue with it being a condition of employment (2), so
long as it's imposed by a private employer. No one in a government job
should be  allowed to do anything that possibly could injure anyone. :-)
(well, just kidding, the cops and armymen have to have guns)

1 - actually if you sit down to have ONE talk and it comes as a big
surprise, you haven't been parenting very well, that talk should be pro
forma because your kid already knew how you felt and had decided to go
along.

2 - while at the same time, I shan't work for any employer that requires
it for MY job.