 Off-Topic / Debate / 306
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:21:44 GMT

Also sprach Matt Hanson:
: You have more articulately described what I was hoping that I would not
: have to.  I don't think there was a single word I disagreed with, other
: than the part about your seemingly condoning discreet extramarital
: affairs.

I *do* condone discreet affairs ... I do not see what the possible
relevance is to being capable of leading a country.  But if your
behavior gets you into trouble, and you try to subvert the legal system
to avoid it, you should reap the whirlwind.  Not for the sex, but for
the attempted cover-up.

: I know it's asking the impossible, but can't we have some degree of
: regulated morality? (regulated by punishing non-conformance to some
: degree)  That to me, is one of the reasons our country is in so much
: trouble... we have diminishing morality.  And if any of you say I'm full
: of it, I'm going to kick you in the head for being so ignorant.

The problem with that, Matt, is whose morality do you choose?  Baptists
don't want us to drink alcohol, but a majority of Americans approve of
alcohol.  Muslims might agree with the Baptists on this point, but the
women in this country, as well as many of the men, would reject Muslim
traditions concerning the place of women in society.  Conservative
Christians might frown on affairs, but I don't think they would have
wanted to put Jerry Falwell in jail.  Legislating morality will always
run into these sorts of problems.

Personally, I dream of a system of government in which nothing is
illegal that you can't get an overwhelming majority to agree to.
Imagine if 9/10 congressmen had to agree in order to pass a law.  Murder
would still be illegal, as would rape, theft, kidnapping, etc.  But we
could stop harrassing pot smokers, forget the abortion issue entirely,
and basically stop tearing ourselves up over issues that there will
never be a clear consensus on.  Imagine further if all laws had a
ten-year life span, after which they would have to be reaffirmed or
dropped off the books.  I crave a government like this, although I
recognize it would never happen because it would be a government without
much power to do anything.

/ _ _ / _ _          Error: Keyboard not found.  Press F1 to continue.
============= Jim Baker -- Weather Weasel Extraordinaire ==============