 Off-Topic / Debate / 3056
Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 02:04:55 GMT

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:56:49 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

" 'Dubya " is a nickname I've heard used for George W. Bush. Say his

Ah.. this explains all. G Dubya Bush.

It is NOT ok to break the law and get away with it, no matter how young
you are at the time, and then say, well I was young then. You gotta
follow it up with "and I was wrong and here's what I am going to do
about it" not "it was youthful exuberance, everyone did it..."

I think I answered this in the para right above where you asked. And so
did Frank in his response to your post.

"and I was wrong AND HERE'S WHAT I AM GOING TO DO ABOUT IT:"[emphasis
mine]?

Neither did Frank answer that one, BTW. Although I inferred that to
Frank, "here's what I am going to do about it" would have to be
withdrawal from politics or LE.

Not quite what I meant. I mean that if you, in the course of violating
my rights when you mug me, happen to shoot me and put me in the hospital
for a few days, my family is out some income and YOU are liable for that
in addition to being liable for replacing the money you stole and the
wallet you damaged and the time I spent calling the CC companies to get
my cards turned off.

Unworkable. Administration costs tallying up the "expense account" and
arguing about it in court would be more than amount of. (and since
court costs would be borne only by the people who use it in your
world, those come into it..)

I still have this weird thing about faith in mankind, etc.etc.,

Ya, me too. 8Wide thinks we're foolish, but I do think men are basically
good.

Sometimes, I think like 8Wide too. But despite _all_ the evidence to
the contrary, my subconscious just won't buy it.

So what... you still are liable to the families of those innnocents.
Feeling bad about it doesn't pay the rent on the house that the family
whose father you stole away has to live in because they lost the house
they owned for not having enough money to pay property taxes after daddy
died in the bus explosion.

And putting $EX_TERRORIST in jail to do hard labour, or even an IT
white-collar job, isn't going to help those families any beyond any
satisfaction for revenge (and as I've mentioned before, IMHO revenge
shouldn't really be part of the justice system). Besides, if they lost
a house just to property taxes, and didn't get enough money out of it
to comfortably set up with savings left over, either something is
seriously weird with US property taxes, or they were living in a house
with pretty much no market value (== no value according to you?), or
they made some very bad decisions.

A concrete example of that would be the terrorist recently apprehended
in the MSP area, the details escape me but the basic defense was "well
never mind all the terrorist acts and robbed banks, she has been a great
PTA member all these years". Horsefeathers.

The Patty Hearst companion? IIRC, the gang killed three total, right?

They weren't terrorists, they were common criminals, BTW, as far as I
can make out at least.

I guess what it boils down to is that I think there are (read: should
be) time limitations on responsibilities. I don't think alimony, for
example, should be something to go on in perpetuity either. 10, very
possibly 20, years at the max.

Jasper