 Off-Topic / Debate / 3044
Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:56:49 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:44:29 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Dubya? Never heard of the man. Not that I want to.

" 'Dubya " is a nickname I've heard used for George W. Bush. Say his
middle initial slowly, and put a little Texas drawl into it and "double
U" mutates into "dubya". I think it may actually have been Gary Trudeau
(Doonsbury author) that coined that handle, can't say for sure... I've
pretty much been talking about junior twit the whole time on this
particular one.

It is NOT ok to break the law and get away with it, no matter how young
you are at the time, and then say, well I was young then. You gotta
follow it up with "and I was wrong and here's what I am going to do
about it" not "it was youthful exuberance, everyone did it..."

So _what_ exactly, _is_ someone supposed to do about doing drugs
decades ago? Try and puke it up?

I think I answered this in the para right above where you asked. And so
did Frank in his response to your post.

To tell you the truth, the whole "making it up to the victims" bit is
what creeps me out. I mean, give back $STUFF you've stolen, sure. But
the common type of interpretation like "$VICTIM has suffered
irreparable mental damage from this mugging, so she should be allowed
to kick $MUGGER in the goolies", things like that.

Not quite what I meant. I mean that if you, in the course of violating
my rights when you mug me, happen to shoot me and put me in the hospital
for a few days, my family is out some income and YOU are liable for that
in addition to being liable for replacing the money you stole and the
wallet you damaged and the time I spent calling the CC companies to get
my cards turned off.

I still have this weird thing about faith in mankind, etc.etc.,

Ya, me too. 8Wide thinks we're foolish, but I do think men are basically
good.

and
the ability to change, which is why I believe the whole limitations,
statute of, thing is a good thing.

Depends. Some things should have none. Differentiate between changing
for the better and making up for what you did, please.

Suppose, 30 years ago, you planted a bomb on a bus and killed a busload
of innocents, and you got away with it. Now you've changed, and you feel
really bad about it and you actually volunteer at a bus garage repairing
busses and giving free day care.

So what... you still are liable to the families of those innnocents.
Feeling bad about it doesn't pay the rent on the house that the family
whose father you stole away has to live in because they lost the house
they owned for not having enough money to pay property taxes after daddy
died in the bus explosion.

A concrete example of that would be the terrorist recently apprehended
in the MSP area, the details escape me but the basic defense was "well
never mind all the terrorist acts and robbed banks, she has been a great
PTA member all these years". Horsefeathers.