 Off-Topic / Debate / 3038
Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:44:29 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 02:45:29 GMT, "Larry Pieniazek" <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Why? Is it OK to break the law if it was long enough ago and you didn't get
caught? That seems to be George W's perspective. Hogwash. It is either wrong
and the law should be changed, or it isn't.

Can you honestly tell me that you have never ever in your youth swiped
a candybar or something similar from a store? Taken a pen home with
you from school? etc.?

I'm not running for office. <crowd sounds of huge sigh of relief> Not
the same standards of behaviour.

However, I can honestly say that I never swiped anything. And as for
drugs, which you didn't ask, I freely admit that I've used them. The law
is wrong and must be changed. 'Dubya is saying that he supports the law
but it doesn't apply to him because he was a kid at the time and didn't
get caught. Hypocrisy.

The point isn't that it wasn't _wrong_, it's that after <mumble>
years, there is a good chance $PERSON has changed his ways for the
better. If not, convict on more recent crimes.

It is NOT ok to break the law and get away with it, no matter how young
you are at the time, and then say, well I was young then. You gotta
follow it up with "and I was wrong and here's what I am going to do
about it" not "it was youthful exuberance, everyone did it..."

And the justice system is all about trying to prevent people from
being criminals, right? <snort>

Well, it ought to be about encouraging people to make good choices, and
about protecting the rights of the innocent (victims AND accused). And
about making criminals suffer the consequences of their choices and
about making it up to the victims if possible. At least that's what the
libertarian view of the proper function of the justice system is.

Forgive me, then.

Forgiven, but not forgotten, I'll be needing to use it against you later
:-)...

The fact that these 4 are classically assigned to
Billyboy by any opposing factions led me to believe you were talking
about him.

OK, veils down, I knew you'd fall into the trap I set... :-) and you
did. You're SO predictable. I like that.