 Off-Topic / Debate / 3005
Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:42:57 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Irrelevant to a court case. The law is the law, and if it is being
broken, it must be prosecuted. Not just ignorerd because some
politicians feel the law is unjust.

Agreed. One cannot ignore a law because one feels it is unjust if one is
a politician. One must stand up and say "I think this law is wrong and I
will work to get it changed" and take the lumps, not secretly disobey
it. If one cannot support the law, one must work to get it changed.

For instance, one cannot:

- use drugs in college and later say "well I was a kid, but that was a
long time ago"...
- evade the draft by using family pull to get deferment after deferment
- solicit campaign contributions inappropriately and later say "well I
didn't know what the law was here and besides it didn't do any harm"
- perjure one self instead of coming out against sexual harassment
lawsuits as an invasion of privacy.