 Off-Topic / Debate / 3004
Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:38:27 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Microsoft has 80%+ market share in the consumer OS market.

It is _by_bloody_definition_ a monopoly.

Just a quickie here:

This definition isn't "bloody":

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=monopoly

... but I didn't see 80% mentioned in it. Rather, I saw the use of
"exclusive" pretty much exclusively. 80% isn't exclusive, it isn't even
close. So 80% share is NOT a monopoly. It's merely dominant.

My take on this MS monopoly thing is as follows: (the first three have
been said by me before, repeatedly, in this group)

  - the antitrust laws that are in effect in this country are flawed,
fatally
  - there are no natural monopolies, only goverment mandated ones
  - 9 times out of ten, or more, when a company has gotten 80% share,
it's on merit alone.
  - pretty much every major antitrust prosecution EVER, including the
very first one, was politically motivated
  - We're usually all worse off as a result of them, not better.
Collossal waste of time and money.
  - MS is not the nicest company and they sure didn't help their case
with their machinations, but they have been good for the industry.
Giving their weaker competitors a leg up at their expense would be
morally wrong, as well as bad for all the rest of us. Consider the
alternatives? Apple? Talk about monopolistic wannabees! IBM? Wouldn't
have moved fast enough.

Those are my opinions, no time for big huge debates today, we have an
offer on our house we have to negotiate...

But, as for Al Gore, he's a twerp. Scion of a graft laden powerful
family, he never invented anything, never had an original idea, and his
wife's crusades are misguided at best if not actually evil. He's all
about spin and blowing which way the wind seems to be blowing. Not as
bad as his boss, I guess. But then, neither was Huey P. Long.

Is Al disgusted with his boss's unlawful perjury or isn't he? Did he
solicit for campaign contributions on government time and property or
didn't he? Did he wink at the chinese stealing secrets or didn't he? He
needs to make up his mind instead of trying to have it both ways.

Ronald Reagan, like him or not, was a man of vision, who had a
consistent message that didn't change, since before he was Gov of CA.
Fault him for not being a detail guy, fault him for not going far enough
when he first got in, heck, disagree completely with his basic message
(gov't is too big, people need to be free, we can bring down the evil
empire if we try), but you can't accuse him of being spun, nor can you
accuse him of graft.

Bush, on the other hand, was a weenie. And so's his kid.

I have spoken.