 Off-Topic / Debate / 28717
28716  |  28718
Subject:
So now a change of opinion...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 17:28:16 GMT

Because I really have been thinking lots about this lately...

As an aside (and before I begin) we actually did not drive through the states ON
PURPOSE to get to the NovaLUG show in New Brunswick JUST because of your gun
issues down there.

So here it is, my modification...

You can own whatever gun you want.

Seriously.

If someone makes it, you can buy it.

I don't think that has anything to do with the 2nd ammendment because that has
nothign to do with a well-regulated militia and whathaveyou, and whatever the
NRA french guy is going on about, but there you are.  I mean, a literal
interpretation is like, 'if the gov't disallows the purchase of 'assault
weapons', are you still legally able to purchase a gun?  Yes? then your right to
bear arms has not been infringed--it didn't say ALL arms.

But whatever--there are crazy mentally and emotionally 5 year old people
obsessed with guns and throw tantrums when they can't have the same guns that
the US military forces have, so hey, who am I to argue.

So own any gun/assault weapon/etc.  Heck, even own bigger and badder things.  If
you can afford it, then you can buy it.

However, the rub is as follows

(because I've heard this argument all the time--even here)--cars kill people.

So lets think about that.  In order to buy and drive a car, the car itself needs
to be registered, insured and you need a licence.

And what happens when people are caught driving without insurance or a licence?
Hefty fines and even prison terms.  Cops check to make sure you're legal to
drive all the time.

We should apply the same for the guns, or whatever weapons of mass destruction
you feel like owning.

The end.

You want your guns?  Then accept the responsibility for owning said guns.  No
the gov't isn't going to keep your data so they know whose houses they have to
raid first--that's your 5 yr old paranoia speaking.  They haven't come for your
cars and cars have had to be registered for almost 100 years...

And insurance?  you own a more expensive car, you pay more insurance.  You get
your car dinged up, your insurance goes up.  Just as if your guns are used in
any matter illegal--your rates will go up.  Lots.  If you want that
bushmaster--well, have it.  Just know that your insurance will be very
expensive.

And if you're caught walking around with an unlicenced/unregistered or uninsured
gun--well, sorry to say, gun's impounded and you're now faced with heavy fines
and/or imprisonment.  Right off, that has the potential to stop people before
one round is fired--not after the fact.

Stop treating this like you want everything you see and don't take any adult
responsibility for it.  You want the guns, pay for the right to own them.  If
your gun is never used for anything illegal or whatever, then you'll be fine.

Furthermore, the gun manufacturers and sellers also need to carry insurance.
Get rid of that law absolving them of any responsibility for gun
deaths/injuries.  Bars are held liable for patrons leaving drunk and getting
into accidents even though the bar owner wasn't driving and it was off their
property.  Home owners have the same issue.  We do this for cars--cars, mind
you, that have as yet to ruthlessly kill 26 people in a school.

The argument keeps comparing guns to cars/knives/baseball bats/ whatever...

Yet companies that make cars/baseball bats/whatever have been sued continuously
for deaths and destruction related from their products--even if their products
were misused which caused the destruction.  Yet gun manufacturers/sellers don't
face the same consequences--why?

Again, you want your gun, then you can have it.  However, it's time to treat gun
ownership like adults--not 5 yr old whims with no consequences.

Dave K